Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Thank you

As I sit here at 6:25 am, nearing delerium after a sleepless night, I feel the theme of the class weighing down my eyelids. "All that is past possesses our present." I have always been a procrastinator, and probably always will be until the day that I die. I have no organizational skills whatsoever, and it's times like these that I regret it the most. My procrastination problem has led me to put off writing about all those concepts I wanted to develop just a little further. Just one more class period worth of discussion, and I would have been able to blog my heart out. But that extra class period never seemed to come, and each day I would find myself immersed in a new and equally interesting topic, with all my ideas from the previous class slowly fading away. Well, this all-night blog marathon brought back all those memories, and in doing so has made me realize how much I got out of this class. Not only did I attain a greater understanding and appreciation for classical literature, but also a much greater peace of mind in general. I learned more about myself and others than I have in all of my other university classes combined. The combination of Dr. Sexsons' amazing teaching and the warm receptiveness and participation from the class created a real, genuine desire to attend every single day. Not just because we were held responsible for the information covered, but because the information that we were given contains value above and beyond any single letter on a transcript. In taking this class, I realized that Dr. Sexson was right, college isn't about getting a degree, it's about getting information and increasing knowledge. In my opinion, this class was the epitome of what every college class should be. It should work toward a degree, but more importantly it should provide information which transcends the utility of any degree whatsoever.

When I go to sell my books back at the beginning of next week, I won't be recieving my full refund. I plan on keeping all the books from this class, just in case I start to forget that the keys to my present day problems are probably contained somewhere in one of them. Although I won't be getting all my money back, the lessons I learned from these books and Dr. Sexson this semester are more important than any material goods. As Dr. Sexson said, "The seeds have been planted." Now it's up to us to simply remember what we learned and let the seeds flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment