Thursday, February 5, 2009

Music

Although it was discussed a few lecture periods back, I am still thinking about what Dr. Sexson said about music. "All music is sacred," and "music is the heart and soul of who we are. Everyone is addicted to it at one point or another." I think the reason I have been contemplating these ideas of music so much is because I am at a period in my life where I am fully and hopelessly addicted to it. When I am not in class, I probably have my headphones in, with the volume turned up a little too high. The worst part of it is that the more music I am exposed to and the more concerts I see, the more addicted I get.


After our class period on Jan. 30, I began to wonder why I actually love music so much? The only answer I could come up with is that it makes me feel entirely content on a level far above any other entity. Hmmm, I must not be the only person to feel this way because the importance of music has been expressed since the very beginning, with Hermes playing the role of original conductor. As I fully realized just how important music is to me, I began to wonder what role music plays in the life of others. Interestingly, I decided to go to my stumbleupon tool bar (if you don't know what this is, look into it, stumbleupon.com) and see what random internet page happened to pop up. This was what it took me to:
This quote uses some pretty strong language when it calls conscious thought a tyranny, but I found it very interesting. Was the first music simply created as a distraction from the endless questions which threaten to send us all into an existential dilema at some point or another?

No comments:

Post a Comment